Previously on All My Toys...
Miss M, your favorite dorkette in distress, is trying her hand at love with upstanding detective Dick Tracy! Unknown to M, Dick is actively trying to bring justice to the city by arresting Big Boy Caprice (Miss M's father!) and his ring of organized crime. Sweet clueless M has no idea about her father's wicked ways and mob influenced misdeeds. There are a few others who share Dick Tracy's secret information. Among them are a sultry lounge singer named Breathless Mahoney who is seeking revenge for the murder of her fiancé. Tracy's crime fighting partner Arcee. Miss M's bestie with the voice of an angel, Glo. And the grumpy bouncer at Club Ritz, Jason. There's a bunch of other stuff happening too, but better to go back and read previous episodes instead of some silly little recap. Now, let the drama commence!
Police station. Downtown.
Dick Tracy: I'm glad you're here. No one followed you did they?
Glo: No. Mr. Caprice and his goons are completely unaware when it comes to me. I'm just another pretty face that can sing. Are you really trying to stop him?
Dick Tracy: I've been trying to for months. Yes. I wish I had known you were working at Club Ritz. I could have used your help.
Glo: I'm here now. I know all kinds of things that could help bring him down. There's illegal gambling. I'm pretty sure Mr. Caprice has had people killed. There's also a basement under the club, I don't know what goes on down there, but it's not good.
Dick Tracy: In a perfect world, just one of those would be enough to arrest him, but this station is corrupt. We'll never get him for the illegal gambling. Do you have proof of the murders?
Glo: I don't have proof. At least not definitive proof. More so whispers and just an over all vibe.
Dick Tracy: We need more than a vibe. What about the club basement?
Glo: It's locked, only a few people have access. I could find a way down there though and let you know.
Dick Tracy: No, that's too dangerous.
Glo: It's already been too dangerous.
Dick Tracy: What does that mean?
Glo: (pauses) It just means this gig was supposed to be simple. Get on stage and sing. I had no idea what the environment was really going to be like there.
Dick Tracy: Why stay then? Unless... Are you being forced to be there?
Glo: No. Not at all. I could have left months ago. But, after seeing what goes on there, I felt a connection with one of the singers. You know her. Breathless?
Dick Tracy: Yes.
Glo: Well, she's the real deal. I feel for her and wanted to help get her out of there. She feels obligated because it's where she feels like she can be a star, but she's better than that place.
Dick Tracy: I can see that.
Glo: Yeah, and her one way out of that life ended up dead. Dick?
Dick Tracy: Yeah?
Glo: Is M aware? Does she know you're trying to bust her dad?
Dick Tracy: No.
Glo: Why haven't you told her?
Dick Tracy: Why haven't you?
Glo: I don't have it in me to break her heart. She thinks her dad has been on the up and up. She opened her heart to him, her life. This will destroy her.
Dick Tracy: I know, which is why I'm trying to nail this jackal before I tell her anything. She has to know, and if we work together maybe we will be able to bring M closer to the truth. I worry though. The longer this goes on, the more opportunities for everything to blow up in our faces.
Big Boy's penthouse, above Club Ritz.
Mayor Grody: I'm not yer enemy Big Boy. We gotta work together right now.
Big Boy Caprice: I got bigger fish to fry. You got some green freak running around town messin with your waste dumps, that ain't my problem. I follow my word.
Mayor Grody: True Big Boy, you do. And we appreciate that you follow yer word. But until I can get my problem taken care of with this self proclaimed crusader of toxic waste, I can't be wastin resources trying to get you an audience with President Luthor. So, you help us catch this slimy bastard and I can grease the wheels in Washington.
Big Boy Caprice: And just how are you expecting I capture this stugots? I got my own stugots I'm trying to squash like a bug. And his little yellow hat too.
Mayor Grody: What do you want me to say Big Boy? We all got our problems.
Big Boy Caprice: Yeah, and you're turning out to be my biggest problem. We had a deal Grody. "When you bust a deal, you gotta face the wheel." Mad Max.
Mayor Grody: Eh? That's not how that goes. I'm pretty sure Mad Max didn't say that either. You get your quotes wrong all the time.
Big Boy Caprice: Excuse me?
Mayor Grody: Yeah. You always quote the wrong stuff Big Boy. I thought it was silly at first, but now it's startin to get on my last nerve.
Big Boy Caprice: Last nerve?! You've already gutted out my last nerve you overgrown radioactive piece of puke! (grows more and more angry) I've had about enough I can stand of you! You go on and find that slime bucket yourself. I'm done keeping track of your toxic waste. If you can't honor your part of the deal, I walk.
Mayor Grody: Tsk. Tsk. Now Big Boy, yer in too deep. You can't walk away. Try it and see. It won't be me you'll have to answer to.
Big Boy Caprice: (groans) Damn it. Don't remind me.
Across town at the new hot spot Paradisa.
Jason: I bet you didn't think we'd be having lunch huh?
Glo: I'll be honest, it is weird. One, we're interacting during the day and two, it's not at the club.
Jason: Are you nervous? What if Big Boy or one of his men come in here?
Glo: Oh Jason come on. Those old white men wouldn't step foot in this place. Can you picture any of them buying a hamburger with a pineapple on it?
Jason: I dunno, Rodent will eat anything.
Glo: It doesn't matter. So one of them shows up? We're not doing anything wrong.
Jason: Yeah, but I have a reputation for being an asshole. We don't want anyone to be suspicious of what happened with Influence.
Glo: And no one will. The only person who is missing Influence, is Lana. She's now so frazzled with Breathless back she doesn't even know what to do with her time. Did you see how frantic she was the other night?
Jason: Yeah, and you're enjoying it.
Glo: I am. I don't trust her.
Jason: Yeah. No one does. Are you ok though? Ya know, after that night? I am very thankful you saved my life.
Glo: He was going to hurt us both. I acted on impulse. I'm ok though. There's nightmares every now and then, but like I said, I'm no stranger to things getting rough.
Jason: You mentioned that before. Definitely misjudged you.
Glo: Not the first time someone has done that. I can hold my own though. I have misjudged you too.
Jason: That's on me. It's easier to be a jerk versus letting anyone in. Especially at the club.
Glo: Why do it though? I don't understand. Is being a bouncer for a mobster's night club your dream?
Jason: It's all I know. My mom was involved in the life when I was born. She died when I was young, and at the time Big Boy and his then business partner Lips Manlis, they took me in and cared for me. I was their little runt. Scrappy they'd call me. I wanted to get through school and maybe attend college, but instead I became the muscle. They took me out of school before my senior year. Initially working for Lips, and then Big Boy when he took over the club. Everything I have is because of them, and it isn't much. I've resented them ever since.
Glo: What would you be doing if you had your own choice?
Jason: I don't even know. I've never talked to anyone about this. I've just kept my head down. Did what needed to be done. (pauses) Enough about that. I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. What about the meeting with the detective? Can we really trust him?
Glo: Yes. I know we can. He's dating my best friend. Who happens to be Mr. Caprice's daughter. It's a little complicated, but Dick Tracy is on our side. He just wants us to find more proof. What I presented with him so far is not enough to go off of. What we need to do is get in the club's basement.
Jason: That will be tough. I've never been trusted with access there. Someone might be able to help us though.
Glo: Who?
Jason: Ever since Big Boy took over the Foot Clan territory, he has this pair of mutated dudes helping him with whatever goes on down there. They could be useful.
Glo: That's one idea. We can brainstorm more. I also have an idea about someone that can help. It involves an old friend using the power of the media. Maybe we can have the public put pressure on Mr. Caprice as well.
Jason: Sounds like it would ruffle some feathers, not exactly a bad thing. I just want out.
Glo: I know. It's easier for me to walk away, but we will figure this out. Together. For us. For Breathless.
Jason: I'm down.
Glo: Jason?
Jason: Yeah?
Glo: I'm glad you opened up a little with me. We'll get through this, and Mr. Caprice will finally pay for all of his crimes.
Police station. Again.
Arcee: (tuning into internal radio frequency) Come in, come in. Who is this? (hears static) It's ok. I'm trying to understand your connection.
Arcee: (listens intently to the static) I see. If I help you, you'll help me? I can possibly help, but who are you?
Arcee: (pauses) Wait, don't go! Hello? (pauses) Hmm. That's ok mysterious friend. I'll find out who you are.
Later on, at Paradisa.
Miss M: I love this place. I heard after Bow shut down Bow's place, he went into business with Netossa and Perfuma to open this place up. Isn't that neat?
Winston: Yeah. The atmosphere is nice and laid back.
Billy: Can't go wrong with the food either. By the way, when are you planning to get your car fixed?
Miss M: Ok, hard subject change. I will get my car looked at! It's on my list. We're not here to talk about my car. I have some serious things to discuss. I'm worried about Glo. We've been a little distant these last few months, but it seems to be getting worse. And! I think my dad is gay.
Billy: (shakes head in a stupor) Wait, what? You think your dad is gay? Uhh. Ok, let's unpack that in a bit. I see Glo every day, I think she is ok. She's been having nightmares, I hear her scream every so often. That's concerning. But I also know she is incredibly busy at work.
Winston: I can confirm. I saw her the other day for coffee. She seemed like her normal self, just more tired.
Miss M: That is so weird. That must mean, oh I feel terrible, I probably offended her. I was a little too self-absorbed this summer.
Billy: I don't think that is it. She has been talking to this guy. I hear her on the phone every now and then.
Miss M: A guy? Like, a boyfriend?
Billy: I have no clue.
Winston: M, you do know you can always ask her if everything is ok between you two right?
Miss M: I have already. She says everything is ok. I'm not buying it though.
Billy: (shrugs) She might just be really busy.
Miss M: Maybe. I mean, we have known each other for decades. Sometimes we have moments where we don't talk as much and everything is usually ok. Maybe I'm just overreacting.
Winston: That doesn't sound far off. No offense.
Billy: Yeah, I'm sure everything is ok with Glo. What's this about your dad being gay though?
Winston: That sounds crazy.
Winston feels the hair on his neck stick up.
He hears a faint haunting whisper, followed by a ghostly giggle.
The laughing grows louder.
Billy: Did you say something Winston?
Winston: Uhh, I'm fine. Just suddenly not feeling well. I think I'm going to head out.
Miss M: Ok. Winston, do you want us to leave with you? You look like you've seen a ghost.
Billy: Yeah, when did this suddenly come on?
Miss M: Maybe you ate something that didn't agree with you?
Winston: Yeah. Maybe. You guys stay here, I'll be ok. Just need to lay down. Keep me posted on your dad M. That sounds like a story.
Billy: We'll see you Winston. Take care of yourself.
Miss M: Let us know if you need anything.
Winston: Will do. See ya.
Miss M: I hope he'll be ok.
Billy: I'm sure he will. We'll call him later. So. Your dad is gay?
Miss M: I'm not sure.
Billy: Where is this even coming from?
Miss M: I don't know. Something just seems off. I feel like he has been keeping something from me, and it just gets louder and louder in my mind as time goes on.
Billy: So you jumped to it being that your dad is gay?
Miss M: (shrugs and sighs loudly) Well there's been other little lightbulb moments. Like, he keeps bringing this guy around that he works with, but they seem to have a much closer connection. It dawned on me, my dad owns a night club that is like a piano bar with beautiful lounge singers. It comes across as this old timey thing that gay men of a certain age would appreciate. He never talks about dating. I mean Glo has told me about these lounge singers, they all sound like bombshells, and I would think he would be interested in one of them. But nothing. He likes to wear bright colors and to my knowledge only hangs out with guys. He can be a little dramatic. He's very sensitive about my dating, maybe because he isn't free to be open and out? He offered me to stay at his place once, but ever since then, he does not want me visiting his place. This could be like the Birdcage. He could have penis bowls all up in his kitchen. And come to think of it, the gay dad in the Birdcage owned a night club too!
Billy: (laughs) I can't with you. None of what you said sounds like your dad could be gay. M, I love you, but you are leaning into some stereotypes. From what I've heard Club Ritz has a lounge like atmosphere but it's far from a gay piano bar. Lots of men wear bright colors. Men hanging out with other men is not a gay thing. Unless the men are attracted to men, that would be a gay thing, but do you have any concrete proof that your dad is sexually attracted to men? That would be the most important detail. Not all this other stuff. You know this.
Miss M: Maybe. Ok. I might be wrong about the gay thing, but I might not be. Billy, one thing is certain, something is off. Something is going on with him. He had that panic attack. He's been angry. I got him to start therapy. He used to think therapy was hullabaloo. But still.
Billy: (nods) You're worried and you want to make sense of it.
Miss M: Yes, exactly.
Billy: Maybe you should talk to him about it?
Miss M: I don't think that will work. (mouth drops open in exclamation) Say, I have an idea!
Billy: Oh no.
Miss M: I have no interest in going to my dad's club. I know I need to see Glo perform, but she's even been reluctant about me being there. Maybe
you could go to the club one night, and just get a feel for it. Because, maybe my dad is gay which would be great. I'd be thrilled.
Billy: And if his weird behaviors aren't about hiding his sexuality? What if he's just an angry guy?
Miss M: (hangs head) My biggest fear is that my dad is engaged in illegal activity. He's been to prison before. It wouldn't be out of nowhere. And if that's the case...
Billy: Say no more. I'll plan to go soon. I'll be a glamorous double agent for you. Like the boy version of Double Trouble. It's going to be ok. Here's hoping he is gay and not living some life of crime.
The two laugh at the absurdity.
Later on, the dressing room at Club Ritz.
Lana is getting ready for her night to perform and suddenly hears footsteps.
Lana: How you doin darlin?
Glo: I'm fine Lana. Didn't mean to interrupt. Just looking to freshen up my makeup before my shift.
Lana: Ain't that sweet. Glad I was able to see you before I go on stage. I know what you've done.
Glo: (pauses, feeling nervous) I've done a lot of things Lana.
Lana: I see that. I started listening to your old music, when you were part of that trio. Shad3 wasn't it? Very interesting lyrics. So it got me interested in learning more about the three of you. Suddenly, everything began to make so much sense. There's no need to hide anymore. I know exactly what you are.
Glo: (rolls eyes) Ok Lana. What am I?
Lana: You're a witch darlin. You had a little coven that was playing music, casting spells. Warding this world of the various things that go bump in the night. But something must have taken quite a turn for your little girl group to break up, and for your daughter to be born with that blue hair. It's so interesting how you thought you could keep that all a secret.
Lana: Of course you are darlin. We're all witches. We cast spells. We bewilder. We give them all what they think they wanna see.
Glo: I'm nothing like you Lana.
Lana: Now that is true. No one is. A sad thing for those who forget what I am capable of.
Lana: It's merely a statement of fact darlin. And at some point, I will need your help. I have big plans for this place.
Glo: I'm going to my shift, I'm done entertaining this.
Lana: Oh, guess I struck a nerve. Well run along darlin, but do be sure to enjoy my show. You might learn something.
Lana: (laughs to herself) Oh that little witch. Have I got a surprise for her. Poor thing, she has her history that has made her who she is, and I have mine. And what I am, is something far more worse.
Lana: Ain't that right darlin?
Lana: It's showtime.
Across town, the local grocery store.
Dick Tracy: How has business been Mr. Jones?
Mr. Jones: It's hanging in there. Prices keep rising, but we're trying to offset as much as we can for everyone.
Dick Tracy: It's been pretty tough lately.
Mr. Jones: It has. We've been worried about crime in the neighborhood too. Everyone's just real antsy lately. Must be something in the air.
Dick Tracy: Yeah, must be. We're working on trying to make the neighborhood safer though.
Mr. Jones: That's the thing, it's all interconnected. Sure we'd have a lone pick pocket here and there, but the organized crime has a chokehold in this area now.
Mr. Jones: But enough of my yappin, is that all for you today Mr. Tracy?
Dick Tracy: Let me add one of these flowers. I've got a special night with my gal.
Dick Tracy: Yeah, she's something special.
Dick Tracy: (looks out window) Wha-
Flattop: Nighty night coppa.
Dick Tracy: (screams) Everyone get down!
Bullets shatter the windows raining glass across the patrons.
Grocery items are obliterated in seconds, splattering every which way.
Screams of fear ring out.
Dick Tracy looks around, trying to assess the environment. He realizes this could very well be his last moments on Earth.
Flattop can only laugh maniacally, no care to the destruction he is causing.
Flattop: See ya around Tracy!
He knows his orders were to kill Dick Tracy, but Flattop has long enjoyed a little game of cat and mouse. A message was delivered, and for Flattop, the games are just beginning.
Dick Tracy: Is everyone ok? Help will be here soon.
Dick Tracy surveys the damages all around him.
Everyone is in shock. Some are checking for wounds. Some crying.
Dick Tracy: I'm so sorry Mr. Jones.
Mr. Jones: Oh, Mr. Tracy, no need to apologize. This isn't your fault. No one appears to be injured. Did you get a good look at who did this?
Dick Tracy races out of the building, knowing he is too late, but also highly aware at who is responsible.
Dick Tracy: You won't get away with this. I will take you down Big Boy.
Up Next!
Glo and Lana clash!
Update: Like the previous posts on this blog, it is with great sadness that the blogging community lost William Bruce West this year. My heart goes out to his family, including his wife Lindsay and two daughters. Will contributed so much to the toy/comics/pop culture blogging and podcast community. His opinions on pop culture are the stuff of legend. His family had a
GoFundMe requesting support which has been temporarily put on pause. If there are any changes to the GoFundMe, I will certainly update for those who are able to donate or help spread the word. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment