Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Hey, I could be in the Olympics!

Like Jean Grey in a green and gold suit rising from some water, Brian over at Cool and Collected has brought back the League of Extraordinary Bloggers, which is now just called the Pop Culture League. Every week there is a new topic for us all to discuss. This week we are all pondering:

If _______ was an Olympic sport, I'd have a gold medal around my neck.

Let's see what I'm good at...




I'm horrendous at sports. Just the worst. I was sort of good at Scram Ball in the 90's but only because I wanted to hold on to my pink wrist bands. Damn those other neighborhood kids for trying to take away my hot pink glory. Anyways that is not what I want to use as my Olympic sport topic. I had originally thought about tying last week's topic (Shelfies) and this week's topic with the sport of navigating a floor full of toys both loose and mint. The gold medal would certainly go to the person able to avoid stepping on any sharp pieces. This would mean that I would have to share images of the mess that is my collection right now and I was not interested in doing that just yet.

What to do? What to do? During my contemplation of this topic my phone rang. I recently changed my Dynasty themed ring tone to Mega Man 2's Bubble Man stage. I can't help but hum along to Bubble Man's stage music. It makes me happy, which is what led me to coming up with my answer for this topic.

The fictional Olympic sport I'd totally get the gold for would be humming video game songs. My humming is so nice and versatile that I can hum to most Mega Man stages and you would think someone was actually playing the game. I'm that good.

The musical talent I have with humming brings to life the sweet melodies of Super Mario Bros. 2. I reach soaring operatic hummed heights with anything Final Fantasy related. I bring a goofy charm with my take on spooky songs from Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Don't even get me started on the orchestra my mouth can create with Zelda II: Link's Adventures. It's pure magic and I'd completely get the Gold. Russia would pit some blonde powerhouse against me but she'd stumble in some way so as to seal my spot in first place. With a head hanging low she'd leave the Olympics shocked at how she was transported by my insane humming skills. It'd be everything and an arm cannon.

It'd also be the only moment I'd win a real medal. I've never really won anything in my life. (Don't cry for me Etheria because I have a fabulous toy collection.) My lack of awards was mostly because I never really joined anything to win. I did try to get ribbons in the Rodeo Art Fair every year during my time in public school but my Rodeo art was too much for the judges. I loved drawing saloon girls with guns, neon cacti, and images of Native American women in bright colors with animal skulls. They just never understood my visions. I don't even really know that I understood them either.

I am rambling and getting off track which is known to happen a time or two. So there you have it, my winning sport would be humming video game songs. For the Winter Olympics I'd win for humming television theme songs, which would include cartoons as well. Melrose Place and Dynasty are two of my all time best hums. Here's to nothing but gold around my pretty little neck.

You can check out some of the songs I'd hum for the gold right below!

Bubble Man

Flash Man

Wood Man

Super Mario Bros. 2

Celes theme



Curse of the Tongue

Zelda II Palace Theme

I'm not the only one taking part in these What If? Olympics.

He's a Rebel With Causes and a shopping habit I know I've done a time or two. Now I want to hum a Crystal's song. Go check out the link!

I'll add more as they become available. I am so excited that Brian has ushered in a new era with Cool and Collected's Pop Culture League! Here's to some more fun and interesting topics. Hope you are all doing well. All My Toys will be coming up soon as toy Miss M prepares to join the cast of Jaws 5. Take care!

18 comments:

  1. Glad to see you taking part in the League once again Miss M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian. I am so glad you are doing this again.

      Delete
  2. OMG why hasn't there been a new Zombie Ate My Neighbors???

    Rodeo Art sounds like something you'd try to draw while bull riding lol

    I think you'd win the Gold at telling toy stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok?! I don't understand why the love for Zombies Ate My Neighbors has been lacking. It's one of the greatest games ever made. Rodeo Art does sound like it involves bull riding while drawing. lol It's a Texas thing. And thank you! I should have used telling toy stories as a gold medal thing. I didn't think about that! lol Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
    2. Heck yes! I was thinking the same thing, I wanna play a new Zombies at my Neighbors every time I hear a remix of the main theme.

      Also, Miss M's toy stories take the gold for sure!

      Delete
    3. Ha! Thanks Mason. That made me smile.

      I purchased Zombies on the virtual console and it is still fun to play but so difficult! I miss Game Genie and things like that to help make things a bit easier and enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Man,Its been a while since I've heard the SMB 2 theme!It put a smile on my face.I'm the same way with 80's music and TV show themes,only I whistle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the SMB 2 theme! The music from that game was just wonderful. I can't whistle. I wish I could. My humming also involves other sounds that I just lump into the humming category. lol

      Delete
  4. So many great songs from classic NES games. Rick Dees should have done a weekly top forty of them as well as the pop hits of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! So many wonderful songs that could totally have used a top 40 countdown. Someone needs to do that. Hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  5. I was over the moon when I heard that the blogging league was back at cool and collected. After all that's were I met you , Derek and Brian and so many other people that still make waves on my side of the web. Thanks for posting so I could know what's up! I'm eager to contribute my own entries soon.

    Let's face it, geeks hate sports. They encompass everything we loathe; physical activity, social interaction and competition that often stacks our kind at the bottom of the pecking order. The only reason I paid any attention to the Olympics at all this year was to catch a glimpse at the trailers for Rogue One and Moana.

    Though if there's one thing we geeks possess, it's the ability to find significance in the strangest skills that we've acquired, often without realizing it.



    I'll have to add these games tunes to my playlists, not only because of your recommendation but also new studies have come out saying that game music is designed to provide a stimulating background that doesn't mess with your concentration.

    I may not have heard your humming but you get a 10.0 for your witty writing this week! Go for that gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did meet because of the League! I can't even imagine what it would be like if we all didn't know each other! I look forward to your posts and what you have to say! That will be awesome.

      I am horrific at sports but I do agree with you, geeky folk do have a way of finding strange skills in things. There needs to be a geeky Olympics, though I am sure there is something like that already.

      Add the songs to your playlist! They do work as background music. I'll listen to video game musics sometimes when I am writing and stuff. It helps.

      Thanks for reading and always being supportive Erik! I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  6. Definitely going to have Mario Bros. 2 music stuck in my head all night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard one to get rid of! So many songs from that game come alive in my head. lol Hope you are doing well! We need to go get candy! lol

      Delete
  7. We both compete in the Mario 2 Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every once in awhile, I still hum the QBert song from the Atari 2600.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atari had some good songs too! I liked Pitfall music. I need to go search through some fun games I liked from the Atari and see if there are any songs that are fun.

      Delete