Friday, June 29, 2018

All My Toys: I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Dear Diary,

I am traveling through space. Heading home to Earth. There are so many things I am excited to see again. I look forward to visiting my super hero team. I know they will be thrilled to see me. It has been months. I need to also talk to Bruce Wayne. He had something to tell me and I believe it has to deal with our daughter Yvie who died an unfortunate death. I have no idea what that could be about. I sound really gloomy though so onto something more light and lovely. I am ready to sink my teeth into a cheeseburger. I also need to do some toy shopping at my favorite toy store: Toys"R"Us. Oh they better be ready for me because I plan on buying everything to make up for lost time. It is going to be epic!

-Miss M




On Earth at the super secret super hero lair that Miss M is excited to return home to see,

Geoffrey: Le sigh.

Geoffrey: (fights back tears) I don't wanna grow up...

Billy: Geoffrey, are you ok? You weren't at the meeting this morning. I think we have an idea on how to get Bane and his vultures off your back.
Geoffrey: It's no use. Let them come for me. Let 'em just slaughter me. It's over.

Billy: What's over?
Geoffrey: I just found out that today all of my toy emporiums have closed. All of them. Shut down. No more. The magic is gone.

Billy: Oh no. Geoffrey. I am so sorry.

Geoffrey: We were too late. Bane has what he wanted I am sure.
Billy: Well he may still be coming after you, even with the stores all closed.

Geoffrey: How do I handle this? I wanted to bring joy and happiness to people's lives. Where did it go so wrong?
Billy: I am not sure Geoffrey, but we are going to protect you. We will make this right.

Geoffrey: (fights back tears) Do you really think so?
Billy: Yes. I really do.

Across town in the Batcave,

Alfred: Master Bruce, you have not been down here in quite some time. Planning on putting your suit on again?
Bruce Wayne: No Alfred. I am not. I just needed to come down here.

Alfred: This is your favorite spot to brood. Worried about Yvie?
Bruce Wayne: I am always worried about her but today I am just sad for her. I wanted to take her to Toys"R"Us. In all the chaos that  has been going on these last months I was unaware that the toy store was closing down. Today was their last day to remain open. I wanted her to experience that joy and excitement.

Alfred: Yes. I remember you being a young boy and being thrilled to see that place.

Bruce Wayne: (chuckles) Ha. Yes. When my parents were alive they did not really believe in taking me to toy stores. My father would just bring a gift home and surprise me. After they were gone though you would take me Alfred. Those were some of my most fondest childhood memories. Walking in through that opening maze of toys and then taking my time through each aisle, remarking at all the offerings. It was magical. I wanted that for Yvie.

Alfred: Well what was it like for her sir?

Bruce Wayne: It was shocking. I don't know what I expected to see but the store was empty. There was just a small walkway with a few items left. I should have done something. I could have had Wayne Enterprises acquire the stores, find a way to make them thrive.

Alfred: Master Bruce, they had taken on too much debt. I am not sure even you could have saved them.

Bruce Wayne: It's horrible Alfred. That was M's favorite store. If she were still alive I have no idea how she would be feeling right now.
Alfred: Yes sir, Miss M was quite in love with Toys"R"Us.

Bruce Wayne: Yeah. I tried to recreate some of that magic for Yvie though. I've been teaching her the Toys"R"Us theme song, I think she has taken to the jingle. Also, M had a storage unit full of toys she had bought throughout the years. Her dream was to have it all on display one day. I went through some of it and surprised Yvie with a number of things. I wanted to give her some of that magic, I know M would have approved.

Alfred: I am sure she would have Master Bruce. Miss M believed in magic and loved her daughter very much. She would have done everything to share that magic with her.

Bruce Wayne: Yes. I miss her Alfred. Every day that passes I miss her. Today is just not a good day.
Alfred: I understand Master Bruce. I completely understand.

In space on Samus Aran's ship,

Ed: So I am thinking when we return to Earth, I am going to ask M on a date.
Samus: Does that seem like a wise idea?

Ed: I think so. Why not?

Samus: She was set to marry a maniac who tried to kill her. Her track record with men is pretty bad. She might need some time.

Ed: I mean maybe. But I am not going to worry about that. Because I know her. She is going to want to visit Toys"R"Us when we get back and I will take her. We will have fun seeing what new stuff has come out these past few months. I'll even take her out for some burgers and fries. It will be just what she needs.
Samus: If you insist. It might be a good idea. Or it could blow up in your face.

Ed: Ya know Samus, you are just too sweet.

Samus: I am most certainly not!
Ed: I know. I was being facetious.

Samus: Oh.

Across the ship...

Deanna: You do know that Ed is smitten with you yes? I sense such strong romantic feelings in him and I am sure they are directed at you.
Miss M: I know they are. He has had a thing for me for many years.

Deanna: How do you feel about that?

Miss M: I don't know. He was there for me in the After Life. We have so much in common. And he is always there for me, when I need someone the most. It is always him.

Deanna: That sounds very nice.
Miss M: Yes. It does. However my life is rarely ever that simple. I am fighting with all my might to overcome my feelings for Bruce Wayne. That dumb man. He cheated on me last year! I mean cheated! Yet I still...

Deanna: It sounds like Ed might be the one to help you get over Bruce?
Miss M: (pauses) I have no idea. I am not sure what role Ed is supposed to play in my life. I do care about him though.
Deanna: Well that sounds very nice.

Miss M: I suppose it does. I just want to get back home. It has been months. I have no idea what I have missed. I just want to see my loved ones...

Across the stars back on Earth and unknown to Miss M, is her daughter, very much alive. Yvie sits in her play room full of Miss M's toys. She is creating her own magic that can only come from the joy of toys.

Yvie: (humming along the song her father taught her) I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys"R"Us kid.

Yvie: They got a million toys at Toys"R"us that I can play with.


Yvie: I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys"R"Us kid.

Yvie: They got the best for so much less, it'll really flip your lid.


Yvie: From bikes to trains to video games.


Yvie: It's the biggest toy store there is! (gasps) Gee whiz!


Yvie: I don't wanna grow up, cause maybe if I did...


Yvie: I couldn't be a Toys"R"Us kid.


Yvie: More games, more toys, oh boy!


Yvie: I wanna be a Toys"R"Us kid...


Ed: Hey, you doin ok?
Miss M: Yeah. I am ok. Just looking at the stars go by. I think I have seen enough stars to last a lifetime.
Ed: Ha. Yeah. We have been in space a long time now.
Miss M: Are you ok?

Ed: Yeah. We are heading to Earth. Life is great! (pauses) I wanted to ask you. And I know you will want to say no, but hear me out. When we get back home, I know you have some things to take care of, but once all is settled would you like to go on a date with me to Toys"R"Us followed by some greasy messy cheeseburgers and fries?
Miss M: (smiles) Ed. I have a lot going on. It was just a little while ago that I nearly married a psycho bent on trying to kill me...
Ed: I know. And what better way to heal than to go toy shopping with your favorite nerdy man?
Miss M: (laughs) You do make an excellent point. (pauses for dramatic effect) Yes. When we get back to Earth I will be thrilled to go on a date with you to Toys"R"Us. And greasy messy cheeseburgers.

Ed: (reaches for M's hand) You have just made me the happiest nerd of a man ever.
Miss M: Ha. I do what I can. Thanks for holding my hand. It's been a rough few months.
Ed: What are you hoping to find when we go to Toys"R"Us?
Miss M: Everything. I am hoping to find and see everything.

There is no doubt in the entire cosmos that she is the nerdy woman of his dreams. They continue to hold hands and stare out into space, hoping and dreaming, refusing to ever grow up. 


This is for Toys"R"Us.
This is for all the Toys"R"Us kids. 
May we never ever grow up.













6 comments:

  1. nice tirbute to toys are us . almost don't want to find out miss toy ms reaction when she learns of what happen to trus that she doesn't get to go shopping there with ed. but still at least gets the burger plus soon reuniting with yvie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am currently getting the next one together and I am so excited! It has been a couple years in the making but she will be reuniting with Yvie very soon! I am so excited!

      Delete
  2. A delightful tribute. I'm sure many of your own experiences our on the lips of Bruce Wayne's reminisce.

    The image of Yvie playing with her toy sized toys is as cute as it is meta. Haven't her sing the jingle to close out this breather from the previous big story makes it even more bittersweet and we wouldn't have it any other way.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My own experiences were placed in with what Bruce was saying. I was really glad with how this story came out. Especially the part with Yvie. I am just hoping the rest of the story will be just as great!

      Delete
  3. Your all toys are amazing. And your experience is looking very high about toys. But my kids play some others toys like blocks and RC toys. baby toys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I feel like blocks and rc toys are pretty popular, even among my friends who have kids, they love those kinds of toys.

      Delete