Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Toy Chest Tuesday! C.U.T.I.E.

Hello everyone! It is that time of the week! Toy Chest Tuesday! Now what have I got for you all today? Well this totally cool relic is from 1986. Before we talk C.U.T.I.E. let's talk about another Mattel line of little pvc figures. This line, mostly for boys, was called M.U.S.C.L.E. It stood for "Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere." This toyline was basically a huge slew of pvc muscle men and other various types of creatures. They were originally bubble gum pink but were eventually released in an array of bright colors.

There was a huge demand for them and they were very popular. These guys also had a short lived cartoon. All of my boy cousins had them, and the concept was kinda cool, however I was never that interested. (Even though they were pink!)

Always on the pulse and ready for consumption, Mattel gave girls everywhere the answer to M.U.S.C.L.E. Enter the world of C.U.T.I.E. It stood for "Coolest Ultra Tiny Individuals on Earth." And they were completely the coolest things ever! Made out of pvc and full of bright colors, each C.U.T.I.E. character represented a girl doing something that everyday girls dream of doing. 


Here is a picture of the front of one of the box sets:
There were individual sets and box sets. A box set included 10 figures.


 Here is a picture of the back of the box, it contained a picture detailing all of the included characters and their names. There was also a description of what a C.U.T.I.E. was and a mail offer for a free poster of the whole C.U.T.I.E. gang. (Of course you needed to purchase some C.U.T.I.E. products.)


Each set had a specific theme. This was the "Lovey Doveys" theme. It was essentially a set of dolls that represented the various things that girls loved and wanted to do, like dancing, getting married, singing, having babies, or making friends. Ya know, all the important things little girls dream about doing until we get older and realize that life is a complicated damn mess.


Here is a close up of two of the C.U.T.I.E. girls. One is holding a baby and is bright yellow. The other is a singer and she is bright orange.


I don't know what the purple one below is doing. She has her arms crossed over her chest and her leg is lifted in the air. Maybe she is happy to be a C.U.T.I.E?


On the back of the box, there was a paragraph that described exactly what the point was for wanting to own a C.U.T.I.E. Click on the picture to read more. It is actually really fun. Life truly never was the same after owning a C.U.T.I.E. doll, at least for me. I loved taking my C.U.T.I.E. dolls with me everywhere when I was younger. I'd sneak one into my pocket and take her with me to all kinds of places, like the grocery store or out to dinner. My mom and dad were never too keen on me leaving the house with my toys, but with my C.U.T.I.E. in tow, they never knew! We'd go on all these adventures and it was so fun to have a toy with me. Until I lost her. Of course the other girls got sent to the attic and kinda became sticky and melty from the heat. So much for their dreams. Turns out C.U.T.I.E. aren't so cute anymore. Thank goodness for Ebay though and the chances to buy these awesome sets all over again! The dreams of dozens of pvc dolls can still come true!
Other types of sets were the Rockity Rollers, Tiny Trendies, Lovey Doveys, Bitsy Babies, and Gym Dollies (as shown above)


 The picture below is from the back of the box that details the names of the Lovey Doveys set. We have:
1. Tutu Much
2. Singa Longa
3. Leah Tard
4. Cherry Blossom
5. Rita Reada
6. Mrs. Sippie
7. Momma Mia
8. Mary Mee
9. Holly Woodstar
10. Terri Cloth
These C.U.T.I.E. names are hilarious. I can't get over how goofy they were!

C.U.T.I.E. were great, plain and simple. I think very highly of them and my heart skipped a few beats once I saw them on Ebay recently, and so cheap too! I was thinking they would be incredibly expensive, but it appears that I am the only person interested in them. That is totally fine by me! I love being able to collect something from my past that is still affordable. Especially something so coo-coo-cool! 


No comments:

Post a Comment