Friday, July 29, 2016

Diary of a Dorkette: Five Years!

Dear Diary,

You turn five today! Let's go for some ice cream and Dr. Pepper! My treat.

-Miss M


As I sit here trying to figure out what to write about with my blog turning five, I am reminded of my ex-husband. Some of you know this, but for those who have just stopped by, I started this blog in part to find some connection in my life. I was married and I knew I had made a mistake. It takes a special kind of man to be with a woman who most of the world would view as a hoarder. And when the things she is hoarding are toys... well like I said it needs to be a special super hero of a man to even remotely get it. My ex-husband did not. 

So when I started this blog with the hopes of meeting like minded people over our shared love for toys both past and present, he was not exactly thrilled. He didn't get it. He thought it was silly and a waste of time. He tried reading it once but just couldn't get into it. Which is fine. I've always said Diary of a Dorkette is not for everyone. However it was all mine. It was something I was incredibly passionate about, it brought me some happiness. 

Now that I look back, I can't help but be proud that I stuck with it. Without this blog I would have never gotten to know and befriend so many wonderful and amazing people. This past year alone has been one I never expected. I mean come on, I have gotten to know and write about Justine Dantzer, the woman who created my most favorite toy line, to say nothing of the other beloved toy lines she was a part of that hang about in my room. I never thought I'd get to experience that back on July 29th 2011. Never. The biggest of thanks to Jordan Hembrough for making that happen. I will never be able to thank him enough.

This past year I also got to talk with people I have long looked up to. Thanks to the Eclectic Mayhem podcast I was able to join Derek Ash, Brian Farrell, and Jason Roberts to talk with Shawn Robare about Jem and the Holograms. His fiance Jaime Hood also got to jump on for a moment which made my night. I adore their love so much, and was so excited when they got together. To be able to speak with them, I was simply fanning out. They are both really cool people.

Other people I fanned out over was during the Eclectic Mayhem episode where we discussed the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and mixed tapes with Stacey Rader. She is another person I have long admired because she is just a bad ass plain and simple. Oh and before I forget, we got to talk twice this past year! We both were guests on the Recurrent Events (thank you for inviting me Jason Gross) podcast so it was a total double dose of fun to be able to converse with her. Aside from her individual badassery she also makes a great team with her husband (Brad Rader) and like Shawn and Jaime I just really love their love. It's so refreshing to see dorky fun people get together and embrace everything about each other.

Another person I got to talk to that was really special was William Bruce West with the Thrifting episode from Eclectic Mayhem. He is a very thoughtful writer with an incredible amount of things to say both funny and serious. He is another person I really admire for his work and any chance we have to tweet each other is a total blast. It's not usually all the time but just enough so that when it happens I am thrilled. This makes me sound like I'm some deranged lunatic but I promise I'm not deranged. Why, what have you heard? 

I've also managed to somehow continue with All My Toys. I don't know how many people truly enjoy that or not, but I am tickled pink that I play with my toys and get to share that on here. My knees and hips still hurt from rolling around on the ground with all those vehicles for that unofficial Mad Max toy tribute. I love it though. My boyfriend Jason (not to be confused with Jason Roberts, two different people) helped contribute to some of those toy characters as we attended a convention with tons of toy shopping last August. He has helped me look for things and gets in on the fun. It's rather refreshing. 

Those were some major highlights over the past year as a result of starting this blog. I'm so glad I did. I could have stopped this a long time ago and probably made my ex-husband happy, but I would rather be celebrating five years of all my toy talk and adventures than wondering why I felt so alone. I feel like I have made friendships with like minded people and that is ultimately what this Diary was to be about.

So what next? I have more fun things in store. I'm waiting on a final draft to be complete for my interview with Justine about her creation of the Princess of Power toy line, which is going to be an epic read. I'm also planning on posting more things about the real me and not always so heavily based on toy stories. However, All My Toys will continue on. Toy Miss M will be working on the set of Jaws 5. Oh you haven't heard? Oh yes, there is a Jaws 5 in production and the coolest toys around are making it happen. I also have plans to bring more people from the real world into the toy world. I adore Chris Gaida, Brian Farrell, and Nick Moose so much that they soon won't be alone. I'm auditioning toys right now for the parts of Derek, Jason (both of them), Carly, Evan, Erik, Cal, William, Dinosaur Dracula, Jay, Aaron, Stacey, Paladin, Chris L, Omar, Sarah, Laura, and many many more. I love telling stories so why not have people I adore be a part of the fun too? I'm really looking forward to finding an Evan figure, with the idea of us meeting in a bar and him being a damaged man from the effects of watching Solaris. It's going to be epic. 

Finally I want to also thank you all for the past five years. I have gotten to know so many incredible people. I still get to know incredible people. Every now and then someone will follow me on Instagram or Twitter and say, "I've been reading Diary of a Dorkette for so long and have never said anything until now, but I think you are so much fun." And just like that I make a new connection that I am so thrilled to have. It's just a great deal of fun. So thank you, thank you, thank you. Diary of a Dorkette is a passion of mine that I do for fun and a way to escape from this crazy world. Thank you for escaping with me. Also I want to say a special thank you to demoncat. I have no idea who you really are behind the user name, but you have been a consistent reader for so many years and I really appreciate that. Most people who comment I know in some capacity, but demoncat has been a regular and I am very grateful to comment with you even without knowing too much of who you are. 

I hope you guys are all doing well! I am going to conclude this post by sharing some of my favorite photos I've taken over the past five years! (They've come a long way.)

























































































































































































































































 












































































































 




















































This photo was created by friend Wes Grogan, thank you!
 


  


17 comments:

  1. Congrats and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is always nice to hear from you and I hope you have been doing very well!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday M! And it's been a fun ride!...Looking forward to the next 5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much John! I hope that you are doing very well. I am so happy to know you. Thanks for always commenting. It has meant the world to me. Now we just need to go toy shopping! lol

      Delete
  3. Wow five years! I know i'm not around here for a long time but I remember some stories like The lonely Peter Pan toy without Wendy, Michaelangelo's interview and that catchphrase "Diary Of A Dorkette Is One Bitchin´ Site" ,MacDonald's amazing Scooby Doo toys,the Pizzazz Halloween costume,the Snake Mountain Story... wow such many memories and good times reading the "Diary" .
    Congrats Miss M!!
    Hugs and kisses! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness I adore you. You are one of the first few people I got to know. I am thrilled you have these memories and I am glad we know each other. Hugs and kisses to you too! I loved that lonely Peter Pan story. Oh my goodness I need to share that one again. (I also probably need to re-edit it as well because there's no telling what grammatical errors there are!) Talk to you soon!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on five years Miss m. and look forward to five more years and beyond of diary . plus can't want to see who you get to be dinosuar dracula . and so cool that you like that i im a regular here. as for who i really am. why spoil the mystery miss m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I absolutely am honored that you are a regular. It is something I always look forward to, and I admit, the mystery is certainly fun! So don't worry, I'm not looking to spoil anything. I do hope I can find a great figure for Dinosaur Dracula. It's a bit difficult because there just aren't any toys in my collection that capture what I'm looking for. I'll figure it out though. Anyways, I hope you are doing well! Thanks for always being here.

      Delete
  5. I only regret that I haven't been here all five of those years! You've been a great person to get to know on the Internet. Someone who is creative, uplifting and inspiring! Congrats on five years, here's to many more!

    As excited as I am about the prospect of appearing in one of your upcoming stories I'm much more interested in learning about this toy audition process. It sounds a lot like what I've been reading lately about how Jim Henson auditioned puppeteers, he'd just put them in a room full of Muppets and just play with all of them until they found on that "fit".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all that matters is that you are here now, regardless if it wasn't the whole five years. Trust me, the posts from the very beginning need some work. I missed so many things in the editing process. It's hard doing that all on your own!

      My auditioning process goes something like this, I have the conversations in my head as well as speaking them out loud in my car. (Usually on my way to work) Then I look around my room for toys that might fit the description of the person, either through looks or just a special chemistry. Or I will walk around toy stories looking at the different toys and seeing if one can speak to me or not. After that I get everything set up and see if it works. How does everyone look together. Are they able to communicate with each other even if they can't really speak. Things like that. It's a fun process.

      Delete
  6. Sorry, I said some of my anniversary comments in my comment on your last post!! ( So please mentally attach those to this one)
    I am GLAD All My Toys is something that still makes you roll around on the floor ( Though I wish it was ME doing that!! Haha! I know you have a boyfriend but YOU KNOW ME!! I will keep flirting with you anyway!!)I am WAAAY behind on All My Toys -but really, it's because I had my heart procedure thing going on. I'm just now getting back to catch up on stuff like blogs that I follow. (And this one is my favorite!!)
    I cannot BELIEVE your ex-husband never even LOOKED at this website!! You married a man who didn't care about the real YOU!!?? M!? Why?
    How does someone like you even RELATE to someone who doesn't care about this shit?
    A few things I want to bring up :
    1. You said Nick Moose is from the "Real World"? That blows me AWAY!! I always thought I was a fictional character!! (You need to bring back Mac Tonight version of me though! Unless, you already have and I missed seeing it because I have been away from this blog waaay too long!)
    2. I just watched that episode the other day of She-Ra where Frosta hates Sweet-Bee!! It might be my new favorite episode!! Cutest thing ever when Frosta was doing that sarcastic mouthing of everything Sweet Bee said!! They HAD to do new animation for that and it was just the BEST!!
    3. Prime Eve is up now-I will send you a link on Facebook soon-but the linking has been weird with my site. It shows the wrong picture for the wrong character when I post.
    4. Wanna make out? I PROMISE I will only kiss you FIVE TIMES!! in honor of five years!! ( I make NO promises about the spankings however!! I may start at 5 and then not be able to stop myself!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I thank you very much for the five year wishes. I also know you will never stop flirting and I can respect that. lol I am also glad your heart is on the mend. I am glad you are doing ok. What can i say about my ex-husband? I know how to pick 'em? I'm not sure. I thought he was cool with things but I was wrong. Made a huge mistake. And you are the most real fictional piece of fun I've ever come across (in reference to your first point.

      Second point, that is my favorite She-Ra episode. Animation and dialogue are just perfection. Makes me laugh everytime.

      Let me know about the link to Prime Eve! I am all about reading that. I think that is awesome of you.

      As for the last thing, you being a fictional character and all, I don't quite know how we would make out. Maybe in dream land? ;) Hope you are doing well and thank you for always supporting me. Talk to you soon!

      Delete
  7. This was a magnificent tribute to a magnificent vision. I admire people who do what they want and say no to anyone who would try to destroy a dream. I would never tolerate someone who told me not to do my Cave of Cool so I know the passion of what you speak. Yours comes from a beautiful source and a beautiful heart. There is no one like you and you are beloved for a reason. Happy you have this work of art to always look back and build upon. I loved the picture montage. I loves me a great collection of toy images and remember many of the stories that go with them. Don't ever stop doing that cool voodoo that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it Kal now you've got me tearing up!

      Delete
    2. I know, thank you so very much for the kind words Kal. You are someone I adore so much because you are honest, refreshing, and we like so many of the same awesome things. I am so glad I know you and get to peek in on your world too. So many nice things to read! Thank you so much. I hope that all is going well!

      Delete
  8. as for your ex husband oh well he just couldn't handle the lovely lady and writer you are with this blog. for after all never let any one tell you what to do including with this blog miss m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that. He certainly couldn't. lol Thank you for the comment. I hope you are doing well.

      Delete