I mean, I personally believe magic is whatever you make of it. So... I'm doing something I wasn't planning on doing, but I thought it would be fun. So click below and see what's the dish.
I recently read a post from Erik the Illustrator regarding 15 things you don't know about someone. This was one of those Face Book things, and I really enjoyed reading Erik's responses to his 15 (and a half) things we do not know about him. As a result he made a blurb in his comment that I should do at least 7 things about me that most folks don't know. So that's what I am going to do. Before you read on though, head over to see Erik the Illustrator. His work is really nice and he is beyond talented.
Now that we are back, here are 7 things that you might not know about me. And probably never really wanted too either. (Trust me, this will be like opening Pandora's Box.) There's no going back now!
1. I've gotten a minor concussion over a Happy Meal toy- Yes. You read it right. I gave myself a mini concussion over a Happy Meal toy. This was a number of years ago around the time of the first Narnia movie. I was obsessed with hunting down a Happy Meal Ice Queen toy. I thought she was amazing and I had to have her as part of my collection. Well one dreary night in the middle of winter, my friend and I were driving to various McDonald's restaurants on the hunt. After finding the rare toy, I was getting into my friend's car, it was a Mustang so I had to do my best yoga moves to bend and slide into the passenger seat. As I was doing this, I slammed the back of my head into the frame of the car. It was a loud thunk. I saw stars. And a few Kowls.
My head hurt so bad and I was talking loopy and slurry for a few days. I eventually went to the emergency room where they told me I had a minor concussion, mostly due to the already decent number of head injuries I have sustained throughout my life. (I'm very clumsy.) It was a hot mess, and ever since, my friend has told me that he is going to get me a hot pink helmet to guard against any other injuries. I'm still waiting for the hot pink helmet...
2. While recuperating from that minor head concussion, I crushed hard on Steve Carell- During my resting phase, I ended up eating a lot of junk food and watching movies. I spent that year's New Years Eve watching The 40 Year Old Virgin on a loop and developing a serious crush on Steve Carell. I thought his dorky character in that movie was everything. Oh my goodness, his character was like the man of my dreams.
3. I've also crushed on Gollum from Lord of the Rings, and that had nothing to do with a minor concussion- I guess I should clarify. I've never had a romantic crush on Gollum from LOTR, it was more like a, "He is so cute I want him to be my friend or house pet." Sure I'd be nervous that he'd slit my throat in the middle of the night, but I just fell in love with him when I saw the first two Lord of the Rings movies. I have yet to see the third. No spoilers!
4. When I was younger, I wanted to be an actress- The only problem was that I could not act my way out of a paper bag. But yeah, when I was little I wanted to be an actress. Along the lines of a Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn. I loved those older movies and I just wanted to be able to visit those worlds and tell those stories. I also wanted to be in soap operas. It just wasn't meant to be though. My acting is awful. For real.
5. I'm a real girly girl- I know it seems like there must be a tom boy in me somewhere since I am obsessed with comics and toys, but I am also crazy for cute shoes and clothes. I love fashion. I can't afford the good fashion, but I can certainly dream. The guy friends I have had in my life have thought of me as the girl next door, but it's more like the girl next door in sky high stilettos and a ticket on the first episode of the new season of Hoarders. On a side note, my Nana is so excited that I am working in cosmetics and fragrances. That is all we talk about lately. She wants to know all about the latest makeup and perfumes. It's actually really nice. I mean, struggling with minimum wage is not nice, it's a real pain in my ass, but I love talking to my Nana about the latest stuff.
6. I get majorly insecure- Especially in terms of my writing. Most of the time I am nervous about posting new things. I am never sure if it will be something that people connect with or if it is something that will put people off. For example, the most recent item I posted (Twerkin Turkey) was something that had me so nervous to post. On the one hand I wanted to tell a story about how Thanksgiving can be stressful and how trying to make everything perfect is just dumb, because in the end it is all about spending it with the people you love and care about, not about how great the turkey is gonna turn out. Well, I also like to mix in some funny stuff, and I just never know if people are going to like my sense of humor or find it tacky. So I get very insecure about things. I know what it is like to be disliked and hated, and that is a very awful feeling. That's just the tip of the iceberg though about insecurities, I won't go any further because I don't feel like alienating the five people that still read my stuff.
7. I own the Paris Hilton CD- I sooo can't believe I am saying this. O.M.G. I really am going to alienate the 5 remaining people reading this blog. So, let me just explain! Like 8 years ago Paris Hilton released a CD. Now I'm hardly a fan of Paris Hilton. She has behaved in ways that I could never imagine behaving, but I kinda got into her songs. They were totally manufactured-to-the-nth-degree pop songs, but they were catchy! Don't judge me! I bought it and I really liked singing and dancing to her songs. I like all kinds of music, and if a song burrows its way into my concussive head I will listen to it. So yeah. Fare well remaining readers! It was such a pleasure knowing you all!
If for some reason you are still reading this, bless you. And get ready. Diary of a Dorkette is gearing up to the end of the year, and I have some major surprises coming up! It all begins with the December 2013 Heroic Hottie! You won't want to miss it, I promise you. Take care everyone!