Tuesday, December 3, 2013

7 is a Magic Number. Right?

I mean, I personally believe magic is whatever you make of it. So... I'm doing something I wasn't planning on doing, but I thought it would be fun. So click below and see what's the dish.




I recently read a post from Erik the Illustrator regarding 15 things you don't know about someone. This was one of those Face Book things, and I really enjoyed reading Erik's responses to his 15 (and a half) things we do not know about him. As a result he made a blurb in his comment that I should do at least 7 things about me that most folks don't know. So that's what I am going to do. Before you read on though, head over to see Erik the Illustrator. His work is really nice and he is beyond talented.

Now that we are back, here are 7 things that you might not know about me. And probably never really wanted too either. (Trust me, this will be like opening Pandora's Box.) There's no going back now!

1. I've gotten a minor concussion over a Happy Meal toy- Yes. You read it right. I gave myself a mini concussion over a Happy Meal toy. This was a number of years ago around the time of the first Narnia movie. I was obsessed with hunting down a Happy Meal Ice Queen toy. I thought she was amazing and I had to have her as part of my collection. Well one dreary night in the middle of winter, my friend and I were driving to various McDonald's restaurants on the hunt. After finding the rare toy, I was getting into my friend's car, it was a Mustang so I had to do my best yoga moves to bend and slide into the passenger seat. As I was doing this, I slammed the back of my head into the frame of the car. It was a loud thunk. I saw stars. And a few Kowls.

My head hurt so bad and I was talking loopy and slurry for a few days. I eventually went to the emergency room where they told me I had a minor concussion, mostly due to the already decent number of head injuries I have sustained throughout my life. (I'm very clumsy.) It was a hot mess, and ever since, my friend has told me that he is going to get me a hot pink helmet to guard against any other injuries. I'm still waiting for the hot pink helmet...

2. While recuperating from that minor head concussion, I crushed hard on Steve Carell- During my resting phase, I ended up eating a lot of junk food and watching movies. I spent that year's New Years Eve watching The 40 Year Old Virgin on a loop and developing a serious crush on Steve Carell. I thought his dorky character in that movie was everything. Oh my goodness, his character was like the man of my dreams.

3. I've also crushed on Gollum from Lord of the Rings, and that had nothing to do with a minor concussion- I guess I should clarify. I've never had a romantic crush on Gollum from LOTR, it was more like a, "He is so cute I want him to be my friend or house pet." Sure I'd be nervous that he'd slit my throat in the middle of the night, but I just fell in love with him when I saw the first two Lord of the Rings movies. I have yet to see the third. No spoilers!

4. When I was younger, I wanted to be an actress- The only problem was that I could not act my way out of a paper bag. But yeah, when I was little I wanted to be an actress. Along the lines of a Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn. I loved those older movies and I just wanted to be able to visit those worlds and tell those stories. I also wanted to be in soap operas. It just wasn't meant to be though. My acting is awful. For real.

5. I'm a real girly girl- I know it seems like there must be a tom boy in me somewhere since I am obsessed with comics and toys, but I am also crazy for cute shoes and clothes. I love fashion. I can't afford the good fashion, but I can certainly dream. The guy friends I have had in my life have thought of me as the girl next door, but it's more like the girl next door in sky high stilettos and a ticket on the first episode of the new season of Hoarders. On a side note, my Nana is so excited that I am working in cosmetics and fragrances. That is all we talk about lately. She wants to know all about the latest makeup and perfumes. It's actually really nice. I mean, struggling with minimum wage is not nice, it's a real pain in my ass, but I love talking to my Nana about the latest stuff.

6. I get majorly insecure- Especially in terms of my writing. Most of the time I am nervous about posting new things. I am never sure if it will be something that people connect with or if it is something that will put people off. For example, the most recent item I posted (Twerkin Turkey) was something that had me so nervous to post. On the one hand I wanted to tell a story about how Thanksgiving can be stressful and how trying to make everything perfect is just dumb, because in the end it is all about spending it with the people you love and care about, not about how great the turkey is gonna turn out. Well, I also like to mix in some funny stuff, and I just never know if people are going to like my sense of humor or find it tacky. So I get very insecure about things. I know what it is like to be disliked and hated, and that is a very awful feeling. That's just the tip of the iceberg though about insecurities, I won't go any further because I don't feel like alienating the five people that still read my stuff.

7. I own the Paris Hilton CD- I sooo can't believe I am saying this. O.M.G. I really am going to alienate the 5 remaining people reading this blog. So, let me just explain! Like 8 years ago Paris Hilton released a CD. Now I'm hardly a fan of Paris Hilton. She has behaved in ways that I could never imagine behaving, but I kinda got into her songs. They were totally manufactured-to-the-nth-degree pop songs, but they were catchy! Don't judge me! I bought it and I really liked singing and dancing to her songs. I like all kinds of music, and if a song burrows its way into my concussive head I will listen to it. So yeah. Fare well remaining readers! It was such a pleasure knowing you all!

If for some reason you are still reading this, bless you. And get ready. Diary of a Dorkette is gearing up to the end of the year, and I have some major surprises coming up! It all begins with the December 2013 Heroic Hottie! You won't want to miss it, I promise you. Take care everyone!

34 comments:

  1. Wow, that was great. I like how you don't edit yourself down you just post what you write and leave it as it is. I like being inside your head. That Paris Hilton CD is ALMOST a deal breaker. Good thing you have other charms that gloss over that very bad choice. Then again my own record collection will remain a closely guarded secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kal! I try not to edit myself too much, although the Paris Hilton cd thing may have been going too far. lol Ya know, sharing what one owns in their music collection is pretty tough. I mean, all kinds of secrets can be found out in someone's music collection! lol I do like all kinds of good music though. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  2. Hi I'm Peter (@Nemisythe), ice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Peter! Thanks for the comment. It is nice to hear from you. I like your tweets. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  3. Very cool M it's nice to know more about one of my favorite bloggers. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John! That is very nice of you to say! I hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I learned so much about you. The Happy Meal story is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buzz Chuck. Yeah, my friends and I can laugh now about my Happy Meal head woes. lol It is nice to hear from you. Hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  5. Awww Miss M!!
    You know how you can make those little red hearts on facebook? I wish I could make some right here :) I'll make a few honorary ones anyways, <3 <3 <3
    I loved this post, this is my favorite kind of blogging as you know. And I don't judge you for your music choices. I have the Vision Quest soundtrack (on tape!) in my van currently...... Miss M, you are so totally endearing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura! I do know about those hearts, and those honorary ones are perfect! I'm always glad when you can enjoy a post. I always love catching up with you. I totally forgot about Vision Quest! omg! lol Hope you and your family are doing fantastically Laura!! : )

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the free publicity. Its the gift that keeps on giving!

    In retrospect, maybe I should have chosen 9 instead of 7 since I was going on in the Thanksgiving post about how the number 9 seems strangely associated with happiness and good fortune. Oh well.

    Wow. That must have been quite the blow to the head if you were slurry for days. A pink helmet you say... Well, you could guess this was coming:

    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6892/pinkhelmet1.jpg

    Oh if only you'd put the Paris Hilton fact right after the concussion story. No one would blame you if they assumed the two events were connected!

    I think all creative people try their hand at acting at one time or another. I was in my school's drama club for years even though at the time I couldn't project my voice to save my life. I imagine it came from an insecurity much like you're describing, which is another trait shared by creative people.

    Interesting choices. Its always tough to decide what might be "too much", but this is good.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erik! No problem! I greatly enjoy sharing with people the other places I like to visit. Plus, you are really cool.

      And I totally did not even think about making that connection with the 9. Maybe the next time I do this I will make it 9. lol

      I totally love that pink helmet. That is a helmet I could really get behind! And I wish I could say that the purchase of the Paris Hilton cd was due to my minor head injury. lol

      I am glad to know you tried your hand at acting as well as sharing in the idea that creative people deal with insecurity. For the longest time I felt like it was a dirty word, that if you said you had an insecurity that it meant something really bad. But the thing for me is that it is what it is, I work on building up my confidence, but I am not gonna hide the fact that I am sooo not perfect. And I don't want to be either.

      It is nice to hear from you! Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
    2. Well I just posted a picture of all of my Christmas cards signed, sealed and stamped just waiting for the mail carrier to come. Its been over a months worth of work so right about now I am feeling quite well!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you were able to get everything sent out! I am loving my card, and I plan on reading over your most recent post soon!

      Delete
  7. Love this post, LOVe your facts!

    Of course, I was completely alienated by your Paris Hilton confession... but I also openly proclaim my love for movies like Joe Vs. the Volcano, The Super Mario Bros. live-action film, and Hudson Hawk... so we're all a little bent in our own ways.

    I'm more distressed by the fact that you want to marry Gollum and have his babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah so, I'm alienated by my Paris Hilton cd confession! lol Yeah, I agree, we all have some skeletons in our collections. lol Of course, some of us also have a Skeletor or two. (I'm still geeking out over what you found at the Goodwill.)

      And I soo do not want to marry Gollum! lol I only want to be his friend or have him as a pet. Not the same thing! Right? Right? lol Talk to ya later!

      Delete
  8. This was a really fun post to read! I wanna post a long comment, but I'm holding my wee daughter. Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself Miss M!

    And you so have more than five readers, you're a great writer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mason! Thank you so much for this comment! I'm always nervous sharing the details about me, but I thought you'd all get a kick out of this. You are very kind. Hope you are doing well! (Your wee daughter too!)

      Delete
  9. Why didn't you write it like like this: " I (gulp) own a Paris Hilton CD..(waits for the trapdoor to open)"
    Hhaha! kidding, guess what!!? I own a Lindsay Lohan CD!! Yup, it was around the time of Herbie Fully Loaded, I was writing a column for the Kent State newspaper, and I kept writing about Lindsay..cuz, this was post Mean Girls, and I REALLY thought she was gonna be a big star! Well, I mean, I guess she is, in the same way Kim Kardashian or Bat Boy from the Weekly World News is a big star!! ha!
    Why didn't you get a head injury trying to get a Mac Tonight Happy Meal figure? Or a Macdonaldland figure? When I went back to my moms this weekend, guess what she put up!? The GRIMACE IN A SANTA HAT
    COOKIE JAR! God we are white trash!! But I love that damn thing!

    And don't be insecure, it's a sign of weakness, and all your shit kicks ass.

    And don't be afraid to be girly, there are plenty of girls out there that like toys and comics, but your girlyness is what makes you the perfect woman! And you can tell your husband I said that too! He's a lucky duck to have married the combo of funny, girly and cool that is you! I think you , and that one girl Snork with the pony tales on her head are the best females ever! I just haven't decided which of you is the very best yet.

    Also, have you seen the movie "Tootsie"? I had to write a paper about it for my gender class. It is one of the few movies from that era with Bill Murray in it that I have never seen, but I really liked it! A weird feminist classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to insert a gulp! But have no fear, there will be some major gulps coming up soon!

      And I totally nearly bought the Lindsay Lohan cd when it came out. lol I really got caught up in all that. I love your assessment though on her being a big star in the same vein of Kim K and Bat Boy. made me laugh so much.

      And if a Grimace in a Santa Hat Cookie Jar is white trash, than call me the whitest piece of trash to ever walk the face of the earth, cuz that thing sounds amazing.

      Thanks for the comment, i always appreciate your kind words. And I am glad to know that I am in the running with the Snork girl as the best female ever. I think the Snork girl needs to win though, I can't compete.

      I have seen Tootsie, but it was ages ago. I remember liking it, but I would need to see it again as it as been awhile.

      Delete
  10. Also, what did you think of the Flash on Arrow? too geeky or kinda cool? Give me the Dorkette review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you mentioned this! The new Flash is growing on me. I need to see more of him. The geeky part isn't the problem, I think I just need to get used to him more. I am assuming you have seen the most recent episode. If so, holy cow! I can't wait for new episodes!

      Delete
    2. Yes, in fact, this whole season of Arrow really has gone above and beyond my expectations, and I'm sure anyone's reasonable expectations, of awesomeness. My hat goes off to them for all of the comic nods they do, all the great soap opera twists, just everything. It really has become what I consider to be the best superhero live action TV show ever. (with the possible exception of the Adam West Batman) But that last episode just kept it coming. The Solomon Grundy stuff, Slade becoming the big bad, the whole twist where you think Barry Allen is gonna get transformed from the particle accelerator , but then they go with the silver age origin with the lighting strike.(well I think they kind of combined the lighting with the particle thing) the ghost of Tommy Merlyn..the funny thing was, I totally guessed that Tommy would be the third ghost, so I didn't think it was going to register with me as an emotional scene, but the way they did it, and what he said, and the moment they chose to do it, it really did land on me and hit an awesome emotional chord! - and most importantly, the mask!! Now all he needs is his Robin- Hood hat and he will look like Silver Age Green Arrow! Doubt they'll do that, but if they do they better do the Arrow-Car too!

      Also, I gotta say CW-wise, after a bit of a rocky start, I think the Originals really came through and delivered and had a much better season so far than the Vampire diaries has. I haven't hated TVD this season, but the Originals is more exciting to me, and I just like the characters more. TVD 100th episode should be great though what with all the old returning cast members there for the flashbacks during Catherine's (possible) death!

      Delete
    3. Arrow is just on it. I am absolutely in love with that show. I think the reason it is works is because of the things you said, they listen to what the fans want and they deliver. Unlike that other super hero show, Arrow is really telling stories with characters that we know while also sending things up in a different twist.

      I have not been following TVD. I feel bad, but I have actually been missing out on a few shows lately. Part of it is because I have been so busy while the other part of it is that I have gotten bored with certain shows. I just feel like TVd is rehashing the tame things and while the Originals is not a bad show, I am still not as into it as I thought I'd be. Maybe things will really grab my attention in the new year.

      Arrow though completely has my attention. The show is just too darn good.

      Delete
    4. Well I guess I will always be a TVD fan-no matter how retread it gets-I am a hopeless case! But believe it or not, Catherine is the best character this season!! But the Originals is way better.
      But as a fellow Arrow fan, I must ask, because I know you like Katy Cassidy -do you think she is being under utilized in this season? I mean, here is the thing, I love her as an actress, but she is like the weak link of the show! I like her dad more than her at this point! I kind of think Felicity makes a better lead girl-but I feel kind of sad for Katie because I feel like they are giving her the hook in favor of a new lead that the fans like more... And I like Felicity more too! but I still feel bad for Katie Cassidy. Otherwise Arrow is flawless!!

      Delete
    5. I do have to say, Catherine is an exciting part of TVD. I will probably start it back up. I just have so much going on right now, it is crazy.

      I do agree though about Katy Cassidy. I love her and wish they'd figure out what to do with her. I also like Felicity though and have really grown to her becoming a bit of a lead. I just wish they'd figure out some better stuff with Katie. But yeah, Arrow is really flawless. The show is just so good.

      Delete
    6. Also, I think you were very correct in your comparison of Arrow with "that other Super Hero Show"-as you called it. Words can't express how disappointed I've been with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
      If it were not a Marvel show it would be a mediocre to OK show. But because it's a Marvel show the lack of any Marvel characters is inexcusable! Arrow plays in the DC sandbox and has fun in there! They've included Solomon Grundy, Bronze Tiger, Count Vertigo, Deadshot, Deathstroke-the list goes on and on! Even the characters they don't include sometimes get nods-like when they had the "Metamorpho Chemical Company" for the character Metamorpho-or when Professor Ivo's boat is called "Amazo" (in the comics Amazo is an android created by Ivo) -but SHIELD-they have the keys to the Marvel kingdom and they simply don't care!! Gravitron is the only character they've even hinted at of any importance, and you really have to be a Marvel geek to even know who that is! If I was writing a Marvel show, I would fight tooth and nail to get in tons of characters! They are really wasting the potential of that show and need to take some serious lessons from Arrow .

      Delete
    7. I know exactly what you mean. I feel like there is so much they are just missing out on. There will be flashes of moments where I feel like they could be referencing a particular Marvel character, but they don't. It just drives me insane. I really love how Arrow has incorporated all those great characters, and I'm not even a hardcore DC person! lol

      Delete
  11. Wow. Some of the items on this list are are just unforgivable.

    No, but seriously, thanks for giving us a little glimpse into the strange and intriguing world of Miss M. It was a fascinating look at a small chunk of what makes you... YOU.

    I wouldn't be too fearful of alienating any readers... you're writing is too fun and interesting to go without because of a Paris Hilton CD. Though, it's pretty offensive.

    ;) Take care Miss M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Vaporman! Unforgivable huh? lol

      And don't worry, I'm offended that I bought the Paris Hilton CD. lol Thanks for the comment, it is always nice to hear from you. I hope all is well, and I will talk to you soon!

      Delete
  12. nice post Miss M. and don't feel bad about having a paris hilton tape for ones taste in music in the unique one is their own , plus if it makes you feel better think all the great writers too are a little insecure. though have to admit i am creeped out by that part of having a crush on Gollum and wanting him as a pet for you would wind going nuts from him screaming my preciouss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's the thing though demoncat, I really liked how he would say preciousss! I just thought it was the cutest thing ever. I don't know what that says about me, but I love it. lol A mess.

      And yeah, one's taste in music is truly something unique. I like so much that sometimes my bar is just set really low. lol I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  13. I'm just baffled at how you haven't seen Return of the King yet. I hope you watch it as soon as possible! Lots more Gollum in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't know how it is that I have not seen it yet. I know plenty of people that own it, I just have never gotten around to it. I don't get it either, but I have been told that Gollum is in it a lot, so I am excited for that. It's nice to hear from you!

      Delete