Monday, January 6, 2014

All right 2014...

... I better not muck it all up.




Hey everybody! I know it has been a minute or so since my last post, and I have been slightly busy what with toy Miss M's funeral as well as the real life issues that have been unfolding around me. I wanted to share an update since I am not sure when I will be posting my regular fun stuff. I have been in the process of moving... back home with my parents. Yes dear readers, at the ripe old age of 31, I have moved back home with my parents and brother. This is a full house story of epic proportions. Not because there are four adults connected by genetic markers picked to live in a house where their lives will be taped, but more so for the fact that I am the only toy collector out of the bunch and it drives everyone insane.

Truly, if there was ever a time for a reality show to be made, it would be now. Since that won't be happening, I will simply share with you all the madness of my own creation and how it is simply piling up. Put simply, I have around 30 years or so of stuff I have never been able to let go of. One or both of my parents firmly believes I have a mental problem. It's not pretty. Maybe I do. I don't really know. All I know is that I do have a large assortment of toys. For most adults that would sound titillating, until they realize that I am actually referring to straight-up true-blue toys, the kind consisting of action figures and dolls.

I don't know what I am going to do. I feel as if my organizational skills are top notch. I can create pockets into other dimensions where I can hide large amounts of items with no one being the wiser, however, I feel like I have been caught. The jig is up as those classic detectives of the 30's and 40's would say. This hoarder has run her course.

Or have I?

No, I have. As I move through into this new phase of my life, I am taking stock on the mass of memories I have placed upon pieces of plastic and I am sifting through what I feel I should still have and what I feel will find a better home with other folks.

By the by, I don't feel that my issue is that I have too much stuff. My issue is that I don't have enough space. If I was some weird rich old lady in a warehouse, everyone would just call my crap a museum and I'd be right up there with the other flashy important museums of the world. I'd have like the Toy Smithsonian or something. But I don't live in a warehouse and no one I know feels that this mess I am lugging around with me is museum material. I joked with a friend recently that I simply cannot part with my collection because in some ways the items are like all my children. To which my friend replied, "Children that you keep locked up in a room." We laughed so hard at that, because my statement was a bit ludicrous. Of course, better for them to be locked in a room instead of an attic. (That's some V.C. Andrews humor for those who didn't know. Ba-dum-bum.)

Anyways, it's exhausting and I feel awful that I have put my parents into this nightmarish world of She-Ra, My Little Pony, and Marvel super heroes galore. (I wish that was all, but it isn't even the tip of the collection iceberg.) I have also gotten so behind on replying to comments and emails, which I hate doing, so for those who have recently left a comment or email, I will be replying! I've also been playing catch up with the writing I do for NERDSociety and Retro-Daze, two wonderful sites that value a good toy Smithsonian.

So that is about it for my update dear readers. My dirty thirties have actually turned out to be pretty dirty thus far. I am the purest definition of hot mess. With that said, it is still a new year and I am going to do the best that I can to get myself up, stand tall, and throw my arm up into the air and say, "For the honor of Grayskull... I am not She-Ra, but I will try my best to do her proud!"

I also plan on getting some fun things posted around here too. The journey of toy Miss M has only just begun! I have a fun story coming up that involves April O'Neil trying to figure out how the monthly interviews are going to work without toy Miss M's journalistic skills to help and last year I crafted this ongoing story for toy Miss M's after life that should hopefully prove to be one fun ride. I was also going to do a Top 10 Toys of 2013 post, but I just couldn't get to it. I did however write a fun little piece on some of the retro toys I purchased in 2013 for Retro-Daze. Check it out! And never stray too far, there's always some good fresh dorkette goodness right around the corner. Take care everybody.

P.S. Is everyone else excited that R.L. Stine is bringing new Fear Street novels back in 2014?! I sure as heck am! I can only hope the new Fear Street books will have covers that nod lovingly to the originals. That would be the good kind of icing on a cake.  

28 comments:

  1. Well the first thing you do is take pictures of all you have so that I can see it. But after being selfish can you do the tub stacking thing or is that already the case? I wish I could display it all but I can't. I have lots of stuff as well. But luckily you have people to talk to who understand what your toys mean to you. For the honor of Grayskull....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to share some pictures of the madness! lol I have begun doing the tub stacking thing and it is sort of working. For now. lol I am very thankful though that I have people to talk to for sure! I'd be lost without you all.

      Delete
  2. <-----this guy also moved back in with his parents and brother at 31. My mad collection to sort thru was more of an existential, emotional toy museum tho. Change can be pretty scary, especially when we weren't expecting it to come down to this. But change can also be pretty exciting too. Just keep hanging in there and soon it'll be clear which toys to keep and which ones should move on, literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am trying to sort through things and have been doing a good job of it. I am also doing my best to view change as a good thing. It is certainly hard at times, but I am excited to see how things will turn out with this newest chapter. I'm just glad I have gotten to know some amazing people through this blog. That has helped a lot. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year!

    I hope everything goes well for you as you work out your new situation! It's tough when people don't understand your collecting, but it's also sometimes wise to pay attention to things that your family might see in you that you don't.Sometimes, between the perspectives of others and yourself, you get the truest idea of who you really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Barbecue!

      Thank you for the comment! And yes, this process has been one full of figuring out a new me. I've had to really have some personal conversations with myself about what I am going to do. When it is all said and done though, I feel like I am going to make things work out. It has actually been a wonderful process of going through things and having the ultimate spring cleaning. lol I hope that you are doing well!

      Delete
  4. Have you considered renting a storage locker for some of your toys? I know we don't know each other outside the internet, but I could store a few boxes in my attic here in Pennsylvania until you are back in your own place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Buzz Chuck! I have considered renting a storage locker. And that is what might end up happening, but until then, I've mostly been going through stuff and figuring out what I want to keep and what I want donate or give away. There are a few things I might sell, but I know I have some fun stuff that would find wonderful homes with other people! Thank you for the offer of storing stuff in your attic! That is very nice of you. I hope that you are doing well. Talk to ya later!

      Delete
  5. One step back and then two steps forward i think is the old saying M so moving in with your family is not a bad thing just look at it as "reboot" so you can start fresh and come back at life swinging and ready to hit another homerun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John! That is exactly what I am thinking of it as! I am rebooting my life and thankfully I have a family to go back to. I mean, I don't even know what I'd do if I didn't have family to turn to. I am very lucky and soon to be hitting more homeruns!

      Delete
  6. Moving back in with your parents and brother. Yeah... I can relate to that. Its not exactly "Silver Linings Playbook" around the Johnson house, but theres just as much insanity.

    It sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle for sure. I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of similar experiences to help with that. I do wish you the best in dealing with it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erik! I know what you mean, it isn't really Silver Linings Playbook around here either, but there is some insanity. Mostly though we end up laughing at it all. It is a big shift, but we're making the most of it. And after everything that has happened with my marriage falling apart and everything, my parents can't imagine me being anywhere else. For now. lol I can handle this for now, but I know it is not going to be permanent.

      Thanks for the well wishes, and I hope you are well. It is always nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  7. even though odds are if given a choice you would have not have wanted to move back with your parents and brother again. look at it as proving that one can go home again as for some of your collection you could just look into renting a storage unit for it. for one does what one has to do for certain times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey demoncat! This is true, one does what one has to. As I said in another comment, I am just glad I have my family to turn to. It's bumpy from time to time, but it hasn't been that bad. We've been making the most of it. And I truly do get along with my family, which is a good thing. We may argue and stuff, but we also laugh and have a lot of fun together too. It's nice to hear from you!

      Delete
  8. This is a phenomena that has been sweeping the nation the past couple years. My friend has also moved back in with his parents... at age 40. It's do or die out there in the job market, and you must do what you have to in order to get back on your feet.

    I would look at this as an opportunity to refocus on the things that are important to you, and to reconnect with family. Even if that means brushing away piles of action figures to reach them. :D

    Here's to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your comment is so true. With so many people out in the job market, it is do or die. And I will get back on my feet. I like what you said about reconnecting with family, that is exactly what I am doing, while also finding wonderful hiding spots for action figures! lol

      To 2014! : )

      Delete
  9. Man, that's rough! I can definitely relate to being considered a hoarder because I collect things. I don't buy it though! Hoarders collect things like feces, scraps of paper, and other complete garbage and heap it all up. Collectors treasure their collection and either display things nicely and store them with care. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to display every single thing. You can rotate through the display items and store some of the collection. I've tried displaying every single item and it can be too much.

    We've considered moving in with my wife's parents because we're dirt poor. My wife really doesn't want to, but we might have to if it comes to it. Why does this economy have to suck so much!? If I can't find a decent job and we do end up having to move in with the in-laws then I will face a similar problem. I have a ton of freaking stuff!

    There are certain things I could never ever let go of; like my LEGO collection, my Z-Bots I had as a kid, my Bendos, and any other toys that survived my childhood. I don't seem to have very much, but I'm sure if I ever have to cram it all into one room it will certainly get cramped.

    Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd start gifting, selling, and donating anything that doesn't have any sentimental value to you. As for everything else, it's amazing what you can fit in a closet!

    Your post reminds me of a discussion I had on my blog a while back about hoarding vs. collecting. Check it out!

    http://ditreasures.blogspot.com/2013/09/sunday-reflections-when-does-collecting.html

    I hope you can figure it all out Miss M, we're all rooting for ya! We all know you're not a hoarder and we can totally relate to your toy love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know Mason, you bring up an excellent point! I don't collect feces or garbage, which tends to mark those of hoarder level proportions! lol I am with you, there are things from my childhood that I simply cannot part with. But I am going through things and finding out what I can donate, gift, or sell. In a way it is kind of fun. I get to go through things and find ways to really make my collection even better. It can be hard to enjoy collections when they are overwhelming.

      Thanks for the link, I am going to check it out! Also, thanks for the well wishes. I wish you the best too! Talk to you later!

      Delete
  10. You think you're bad!? I think I found a (gulp) Snailien in my closet the other day! Throw me in the hoarder dungeon-so long as I'm being thrown in there next to you! I'll be in good company! I come back to my moms house every weekend, and I find stuff like POGS and old figures. Difference is, I am an only child. So I say "keep those"-result is, yeah, we keep em. Being an only child with one parent makes being a toy collector so much easier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Snailien! lol Yes! I keep trying to find the rest of my brother's pieces to his Snailien. I mean, it is hard with sibling. There is so much I will hold onto from his stuff and I'm like, "You'll want it back one day!" lol Meanwhile, I'm enjoying everything. lol

      Yes, being thrown into a hoarder dungeon together sounds like a plan to me! As long as there aren't any trapdoors... lol : )

      Delete
    2. Yeah-cuz trapdoors would suck-I can't imagine what they would lead to-I mean, the penalty of a hoarder dungeon would be that we couldn't horde stuff while we were in it, but at least we could enjoy each others company! If they opened a trapdoor under us god knows what we'd fall into- a pit of melted Snailiens? perhaps-maybe that would be the best punishment for toy hoarders. And even as we drowned in the goo we would be trying to figure out which Snaliens they used to make the goo-so at the very least we would die dorky!!

      Delete
    3. Ok so one fear would totally be that we'd be in this huge space ready to be filled with all the good stuff, only to find out that we couldn't hoard a damn thing. lol I love this idea of us in melted snailian goo though. I'd totally be trying to figure out what came from what. lol

      Delete
    4. No, that would be too horrible to imagine! Imagine like Action comics #1, Amazing Fantasy #15,Detective comics #27, and -of course the ones you would most want to grab-either Sensation Comics #1 or All-Star Comics #8-at reasonable prices, but we couldn't HAVE THEM!! -that would be hell. Not to mention the toys we could be tempted with. the books. The lunch boxes. I really think if we go to Hell, that will be what it's like. Everything we want out of our reach as a penalty for being too materialistic in our lives. I shudder to think of it!
      -but as far as goo goes, lets hope we don't end up drowning in melted Snailiens! Though I'm still waiting on the "Slime Lil' Miss M fundraiser Kick Starter Account !" it's high time we, your devoted fans, all pitched in and got you a Slime Pit! (or would that fall into the too materialistic category as well? yup, we're all going to hoarder hell!)

      Delete
    5. This comment was too funny! lol I could totally see that being our own hell for being so materialistic. Oh my goodness I would hate it. lol It would just be awful.

      And the Kickstarter campaign. lol I am not sure how people would take that, though I am sure there will be a Slime Pit in my future at some point. I never thought I'd own a Crystal Castle, but look at me now! lol

      Delete
  11. I know how you feel. I'm 33 and all my life I lived with mom and granny, granpa, sister (recently moved with her boyfriend), aunt, uncle, two cousins....
    Two dogs, two rabbits and a hedgehog.
    Too much people living together is pretty hard. We adults tend to have quarrels about common living space and possesions, and making others out of our personal space/room/possesions. Sometimes the differences between personal/common are fuzzy, and you end up fighting for who can use the washing machine.
    Remeber: Washing machines are evil (on the other hand, refrigerators are pretty nice).

    Cheers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Traveling Pics! Wow! That is a full house!

      I can understand though about the quarrels with common living space and possessions. I know I have time to wash clothes in the evening or during the day (if I am off from work) I also have another trick, I do everyone's laundry for them, that way I can monitor the washing machine use. lol

      Refrigerators are pretty nice though! Hope you are doing well!

      Delete
    2. Hi Miss M.

      We all find out that things tend to go well after the adapting phase (well, we had live like this all our lifes, so we are pretty used to this) :D
      In my case we try to not choose the same days for laundry. About kitchen, If anyone else is using it, the others respecfully wait until kitchen is free again (specially the microwave). About vacuum cleaning: we (mainly me) make it at sunday's noon, when everyone is awake and mom is cooking.
      Keeping these rules solved the problem.
      Happily, we have enough bathrooms!

      Delete
    3. Hey TravelingPics! I have been meaning to respond to your comments and have just been so behind! How are you? I love your tips. We have certainly worked on the dos and don'ts of living together. lol It is starting to work out though. I hope you have been doing well! It is really nice to hear from you.

      Delete