A recent comment on this site helped spark an idea for a new way to get to know people in the dorky community, namely the wonderful folks who read this site! Starting off with a questionnaire and following up with some personal photos, get ready to learn about one of Diary's readers! So behold, Diary's brand new:
Clip 'n Save Reader File!
1. Name: Sarah
2. How long have you been collecting?: That's a tricky question, technically since I was a child, I'm 30 now, but more seriously as I got into my 20's.
3. What do you collect?: Childhood books, some were wrecked due to a garage/basement flood about 14 years ago, this includes many of my childhood favourites: Jem, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, Sesame Street, Muppet Babies, Care Bears, and many, many more!I have kept my old Archie comics from when I was younger and now I collect the new Buffy and Angel comics that come out monthly. I also collect Sweet Valley High/University, I am only 12 books short of an entire collection between the two.
4. Any Toy Regrets?: Yes, giving away most of my toys when I became a "cool" teenager, no longer did I want any of my Jem or She-Ra dolls, and believe me, I had most of them, my Uncle worked at Toys R Us when I was a child so I always got great toys, and I was an only child till I was 9.
5. Favorite toy property (vintage or new) and why?: My Carebear, the orange Friend bear one, I've had it since I was about 2 years old, it sits on a shelf in my room, my Grandma bought it for me before I had my tonsils removed, she has since passed away.
6. If you collect, where do you normally shop for your addiction?: I like to look online and in any used book stores I see, or even stores like the Value Village or Salvation Army, etc, as they too have a book selection.
7. Any upcoming products that got you super psyched?: Yes, the new Jem dolls, I am very excited about these, I want one and I am not opening the box this time!
8. Hollywood is finally making a female centered comic/sci-fi/super hero movie, quick, who do you hope it is?: I know there was already a Buffy movie, I remember I begged my Mom to take me to the theatre to see it, and she did, and I am still a huge fan of the show, SMG, are you listening, there needs to be a new big screen Buffy movie.
9. Which toyline/cartoon would you like to see get a comeback?: She-Ra and Jem for sure, also, I loved Maxie's World, the doll/cartoon line that many never seem to remember.
10. Biggest thing that bugs you about collecting?: That if I had kept these things when I was younger, I wouldn't have to be paying more money now, but then again, it's hard for a kid not to open a doll box and not play with it!
11. Do you have a website and/or are part of a message board that you'd like to share?: Yours of course, I check it all the time, and this SVH satire website always gives me a laugh http://winstonegbert.
12. Share your photos and discuss a brief bit about what we are looking at!: Well, here are my book photos,
A collection of Princess of Power books
Some more Princess of Power books
Strawberry Shortcake, The Get along Gang, and Rose Petal Place
Cabbage Patch Kids
"This photo was of me at age 9 with what I always called my bestest Christmas, as you can see I got the Barbie Dream Home that I had been asking for along with furniture to go with it, Barbie dolls, and a NKOTB sleeping bag, with matching slippers that I had to immediately put on!"
"I've attached a photo from last Christmas of me and my 4 year old cousin, I found him a Thundercats sword when we were shopping in the States before Christmas (I live in Canada), anyways, it was the best 20 bucks I ever spent, he loved it, and I'm passing on the torch to a new generation, he enjoys the older Thundercats more so than the new version."
Awesome responses to the questionnaire! I look forward to checking out the Sweet Valley High link, I used to love those books. I wish I still had mine. I am also in agreement with you, I would love for a Buffy comeback in some form or another. I loved the old movie as well as the television show! I really enjoyed reading your answers.
Also, such wonderful pictures Sarah! I am in awe of your book collection. (Rose Petal Place! Wuzzles! Teddy Ruxpin!) I have one of the She-Ra books, but my collection of books like that are very small. Your book collection is great! I also love the Christmas photo, I never had a Barbie Dream House, but I did have the NKOTB stage. I was in love with those guys. I also think it is fantastic that you have been showing your nephew all the cool things from yesteryear! He looks thrilled to have the sword! That is just awesome and I really thank you for wanting to be a part of this!
If anyone else is interested in being featured with a Clip 'n Save Reader file, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can get things started! The frequency of emails I get will depend on how often I post this feature! I encourage you to email me and take my questionnaire. It will more than likely evolve as this is the first time I've done anything like this. So I hope you all enjoy, and a big thanks again to Sarah for agreeing to do this!