Wednesday, August 29, 2012

While I was gone...

Ok I have returned from my trip to the land of sun and surf. And a three story Target. (I died. The toy aisle just seemed bigger in a three story Target.) Anyways I avoid the sun and I don't surf, so it would seem that my going to California would make no sense. Well there was plenty for me to do. First off my brother lives there and got to debut a show he has been working on for the last year. He starred in and wrote, produced, co-directed, and designed the amazing costumes for a show that was a retelling of the classic Narcissus myth. It was amazing. He is planning on expanding the show from a play to an actual music video/film, so when that ball gets rolling I will let those who are interested know. I am so proud of him, just super proud of my baby brother! I am very glad I got to see his show come together in the best way.

On to the toy talk though, because after all, it is about the toys. I tried my best to search for vintage toy stores. I had a nice list (thank you yelp) however most of the stores were closed down or were selling novelty toys. I wasn't interested in novelty. I wanted to stumble in a shop where I would find old Jem dolls or carded She-Ra items sitting in a bin on clearance because the owner would be like, "No one seems to want that stuff. The kids just don't know who She-Ra is." I wanted to scoop up some amazing find that would ease my anxiety at having to fly on planes.

Side Track: There needs to be a book on plane etiquette. Like if you have survived multiple plane crashes, you should not go on and on about your terrifying ordeals and how you survived every time. That is not fun at 10,000 feet in the air. I seriously had to listen to this woman recount how many times she nearly died and was like, "I just couldn't believe that the wings had blown up. I ended up walking away from the crash! I have good luck!" Umm, no. Keep your scary stories to yourself.

And another thing, if you are supremely sick with either the vomits or the number 2s, just stay home. I don't want to be sitting there on edge while someone paces back and forth talking about how, "I am going to have an accident!" Keep all accidents away from me. I just hate flying. Someone needs to invent a teleportation device, or trigger the teleportation mutant gene in me. Like asap.

Anyways back on track, I did manage to find one cool item. Funko's Pop! line has been one of the cutest lines to collect. In fact I named it one of my Top Ten Toys of 2011. Anyways I was completely thrilled to find the latest Disney Pop! line at Barnes and Noble! Check out what I found!


Now I wanted the Ariel too, but her eyes were funky. The one issue I have with these Pop! figures are the messy paint applications that usually muck up the eye area. Either way, this Ursula is just awesome. The Little Mermaid has always been my favorite fairy tale story, and honestly, who doesn't like Ursula? She is the perfect villain. If I could I'd have two pet eels as well.

 
I also love the art on the side of the box. The fun folks at Funko have really created a line that is cute and gets my heart in a tizzy with so many options. Seriously, what hasn't been turned into a Pop! vinyl figure? Oh yeah, She-Ra.
 
 
There are also quite a few decent characters for the third series of the Disney Pop! figures. I'm only really interested in Ariel, though with the addition of Donald Duck, I can only hope that Daisy will make an appearance soon.

So with my return to Internet access and my archival room, I will be getting around to a fun filled Toy Chest tomorrow! Until next time!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time Miss M and too bad on the vintage toys made the flea markets would of worked better for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know I had thought about that, but I didnt even really look that up. I had kinda fallen in this trap of thinking that there'd be all kinds of interesting stores with vintage items.

      Delete
  2. We have a kick ass vintage toy store in Cleveland (I'm hardcore representin' the midwest yo!) called "Big Fun" and it literally is just that. Last time I was there they had carded and uncarded MOTU and POP figures but they knew how much they were worth. That's where I spent all my beer money on a Horde Trooper that one time-Sadly I couldn't afford the Catra( I never had her as a kid, I had Evil Lynn but that was as girly as my figures got-and I still need a Catra to complete my original Horde set)
    They also had great stuff for my Popeye, Creature From the Black Lagoon and Hanna Barbera collections and literally drawers and drawers full of vintage odds and ends and even old still in package trading cards from various lines.they also have like a wall full of vintage lunchboxes.
    Glad to hear about the toy chest-but when do we get the next chapter of Search for Honor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that store sounds awesome! My dream vintage store to walk into would have like mint vintage My Little Pony, Moon Dreamers, She-Ra, Jem, Filmation's Ghostbusters. Oh my goodness, it would never exist, but I would die. I love that you have that store near you though, it sounds like a really cool place to shop.

      As for the next chapter of Adora's Search for Honor, it will be this Saturday if all goes according to plan!

      Delete
  3. Wow those Pop! figures looks pretty cute! We didn't have them in Spain.But Here in Barcelona there are some Toy stores with a lot of 80's toys on clearence.I've found some MOTU & Bravestar. But Bravestar wasn't on clearence...and i cant afford it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That sounds like a cool clearance sale, did you pick anything up? I liked Bravestar too, I wish it'd get a comeback.

      And hopefully the Pop! stuff will make it to Spain. The line is very cool.

      Delete
    2. Yesterday i was at one mall in Barcelona , and i saw the Pop! Figures! they finally get released in Spain! When i saw them i think wow i must told Miss M that they're finally here!! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh awesome Nastyroker! I am glad they are in Barcelona! Did you pick any up? I love that the figures are getting around to other places. They are really fun.

      Delete
  4. Miss M did you see this!! :D
    http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2937

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. Wow. I know this had been rumored, but to see it actually for real. I am flipping out. I am so flipping out and I will need to make a post about this! Thank you Nastyroker!!!

      Delete