Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dream a Little Dream of Me

The topic for this week's League of Extraordinary Bloggers is simple, yet full with so many possibilities.

I have a dream...

Now I tend to have very vivid dreams that involve all kinds of kooky things like a killer ostrich trying to peck away at my heart or an ocean adventure dream that finds me traveling the deepest depths of the seas in a swanky submarine that makes McDonald's food on command. But, I'm not going to talk about the dreams I have when I'm tucked in at night. And I'm certainly not going to discuss the dream of having cybernetic implants installed on me so I can live forever as a really fun and kind cyborg (unlike that damn Vera.) Instead, read on for a personal dream I've had for a very long time...


I've never really talked about this in great detail, though I suppose this isn't really something very shocking, but I love to write. It is the one thing I feel like I can get right in this world because it is something that comes from my heart. I simply love to write. Even when I'm dead tired and the words are struggling to reach the air around me, I love it. Part of why I love it so much is that I feel so alive when I am telling a story. There is just something magical about wanting to share a vision from your mind with other people that will just get it, and enjoy it too.

So my dream is to one day have a story of my creation published. I mean, I would love to be tapped to be the writer for a full length She-Ra film, but let's be real, some dreams will just never happen. I fear that even the basic dream of having something of mine published might never happen either. Who knows what the future holds, but I do know that I keep dreaming for that experience to one day happen.

Growing up I was always told that writing was something to be treated as a hobby. I needed to focus on real life goals, the kind that can produce results and steady paychecks. So that is what I did. I figured out some things that I was interested in and I went through a never ending journey through college thinking that my life would be figured out once I was finished. Only I haven't figured out diddley squat four years after graduating. My career as a mental health professional has imploded. I'm figuring out what I'm going to do day by day, and yet, I am figuring out nothing. I will be fine, I always am, but I'm realizing that I might have made a mistake in my life choices. I can't go back, only forward. So I dream. Part of my dreams, of course, involve writing.

It is funny, last summer my brother and I were digging through our parent's attic. The whole ritual of digging through their attic seems to happen every summer. I don't know why that is, though the winter would be better. Anyways, last summer I found a little paperback diary that I had written when I was in the third grade or so. I had pretty much forgotten about this rinky-dink diary, which was set up with a question-of-the-day journaling exercise. I got such a kick out of the answers. It was like I was reading a stranger's diary.

One of the questions was, "What do you want to be when you grow up" and my answer was, "A writer." I was so shocked when I read that. I had no recollection of writing that down, and I pride myself for my memory! It was just a surreal moment because it was like my 8 year old self was trying to send a message into the future. Reading that answer just rattled me. I knew something back then that I had somehow ignored along the way.

It is frustrating because I have so many stories that I want to tell, and they are just sitting in notebooks, patiently waiting to be told. I want to tell stories that are new and exciting, stories involving perspectives that don't always shine to the top. I want to tell a great story that will empower girls and women everywhere much like She-Ra was doing for us back in the day. I hope I can have all of my stories completed and ready to share with the world. That is a dream I hope can come true.

For now though, I have Diary of a Dorkette. Each post comes filled with so much love you could just adopt it like one of those Cabbage Patch Kids. Only don't, because that whole sentence was beyond weird. Anyways, now that I have shared my dream, let's look at what other members of the League are dreaming of...

-Joe is dreaming of a special future...
-BigIV has a dream involving recapturing those 1st experiences with your toy favorites...
-Newt brings it home with his dream, I mean brings it home! We all need to get along!
-Charles dreams of writing an epic Chivalric romance...
-G.I. Jigsaw has a dream perfect for most collectors of the action figure variety...
-Chris dreams of being a comic book writer...
-Daniel has a guest share his dream, for a world free of homo superiors (I'm just gonna say next summer can't get here soon enough)
-The Las Vegas Yankee dreams of the day when everyone can simply enjoy life...
-Victoria dreams of visiting a place that truly seems so cool!
-Brian has a dream that, should it come true, will be amazing for dorky folk everywhere...
-Yelinna dreams of a simpler time, and I am totally in agreement!

So that is about it! Be sure to visit Cool and Collected for more posts on this week's topic. Don't go too far, because there will be plenty of fun stuff coming up soon.

6 comments:

  1. I think we all dream of Dorkette becoming a cyborg with weird cyber-boobs-that is a totally normal dream, but the Ostrich heart pecking, this needs to be examined by a psychologist. Why the heart? Why the Ostrich? so many questions. As far as the other one goes, well, we all want infinite McDonalds food. And Happy Meals. With old school toys. Also, I want Mac Tonight to sing me to sleep.
    As far as the old school diary goes,I didn't have one of those, but I have pictures of the Thundercats I drew when I was six.And all kinds of notes from teachers, saying I should be a writer. I wish, though, that I had a time machine, I would go back and give myself a football. Then this hell would never have happened!
    (Only kidding, mostly because I had a heart condition so I could never could have played football.)
    but you know, writing isn't all fun. It's a job. I think writers, artists, creative people, they work harder than lawyers, doctors etc. Because, they can't stop-they can't turn it off. And they can't get fired or quit. It's your life!
    Sometimes, I think I would trade every creative impulse I have for one day as a normal boring human being. Other times, there is nothing better than getting that click you get when you come up with something!
    Well, whether it's a dream or a nightmare, it's what we got. So let's make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't tell you why I was dreaming of some deranged killer ostrich. It was actually trying to peck at my face and chest, so I always assumed it was after my heart. I have no idea though. It was when I was in highschool, and I never forgot it. lol

      But I do agree, writing isn't always fun. It's like there is this constant flow of ideas ans conversations that make for the perfect thing to write about or capture, it can be exhausting. I hate it when I try to sleep, because it can be hard to just shut that out and fall asleep.

      I love that you had a drawing of the Thundercats when you were 6. I would love to see that. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  2. I'm already enjoying all the stories you tell here on your blog, so consider yourself halfway there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian! That put a smile on my face! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi Miss M.!
    I couldn't stop to think about your dream of being a writter, because it is one of my dreams too.
    I'm an engineer by profession, but I dreamed about becoming a fantasy/sci fiction writter. While engineering stuff pays my bills, writting is a passion, so I chose to write for free
    http://edicionesorem.blogspot.com/search/label/Comentarios

    I have a few publications here in PerĂș, and I receive no money, just the satisfaction to see my work read by others. Plus, the editorials tha published me belongs to an only one person. Fantasy/sci fiction is an undervalued genre here, in a society that barely reads a book per year/per person. So I'm known by very few people. But I don't care. I don't write for money or fame.
    If you try something, do it for yourself!
    Google agrees http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/yelinna/google_01.png
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment Yelinna! I know that a part of me would love to be able to walk into a store and see a book with my name on it on display, but at the end of the day I just love writing and making people feel good, if it's laughter or sadness or whatever, I just like telling stories. Thank you for the links, I will be checking them out. I bet your stories are amazing. I have to get through this weekend with my parent's garage sale and then I am going to sit down and check these links out. I hope you are well!

      Delete